Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fresh Mango Salsa~


Fresh Mango Salsa

* * *

My mother-in-law sends home little care packages for us every now and then, usually bags full of produce after she's gone to the produce market...I love when she makes a big pot of chili beans because she divides them up into many small containers so I can freeze them for individual meals...My MIL makes "the best" chili beans around, hands down...This time we had all the fixings for fresh mango salsa...

White onion
Tomatoes
Mangoes
Serrano Chilies
Cilantro
Fresh lime juice

So I chopped, chopped, chopped, and diced, diced, diced...I only added two serrano peppers -- she sent about ten of them -- and, boy, let me tell you, it
was H-O-T! Too hot to eat w/ tortilla chips, but just perfect piled high atop the homemade chicken tacos we made for dinner :0)

The fresh mango salsa is also delish on fish tacos!


Little factoid/warning: The serrano chili pepper is approximately 5x hotter than the jalapeno chili.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Susan - That was a really cool video on peeling potatoes... wow. I am definitely gonna share that one. ... I also have a story for you. About a year ago I wanted to make my grandma's homemade roasted hot peppers and onions as a side to a loaf of warm italian bread... Just a sauteing process but, anyway, I did not know the warnings behind not wearing gloves to cut the extremely hot peppers and I did cut about 5 different hot i mean hot HOT peppers barehanded. So um sure the peppers tasted good but my hands were redder than a washington apple... OUCH> I learned about something that day called jalapeno hands...... it means the oils from the peppers get imbeded in your skin and actually take several days to wear off and there is no treatment other than doing something to keep your mind off of it... And the funny part is remember not to touch the one's you love on their bare skin cause guess what..... that hurts too..... lol... Have a great week.. Jaime

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin